During the workday, you will surely need to take many screenshots. These screenshots may be required for your work, or they may be required for your assignments. Everyone should know how to take screenshots because they can prove to be very handy. You can save the screenshots in PNG or JPG format. You can also attach them to an excel sheet, word document or even a presentation. The process to take the screenshot usually varies from one operating system to another. If you need to take screenshots and are not sure of the procedure, we can certainly help you.
In this article, we have listed the process to take a screenshot on Windows & Mac laptops. The process remains the same for the desktops too. So, you can check them out and then use those screenshots for whatever task that you need.
How to Take Screenshots in Windows Laptop
This section is exclusively related to Windows. We have listed some of the different ways to take the screenshot on a Windows device. Go through the details below.
Snipping Tool – Windows comes equipped with the snipping tool, making it very easy to take a screenshot. Follow the steps listed below to take a screenshot using Snipping Tool.
- Open the Start Menu and search the snipping tool.
- Click on the New button on Snipping Tool and drag the crossbow starting from the screen area, which you want a screenshot for till the point that you would like to capture.
- Release the button of the trackpad, and the screenshot will be displayed on the snipping tool.
- You can modify the options like you can take the rectangular screenshot or take a window snip.
- If you want to save the screenshot from the snipping tool, press CTRL+S and save the screenshot to the desired location.
Print Screen Button – One of the easiest ways to take the screenshot is by using the PRTSC button on the laptop. It captures the entire area of the screen, and below are the steps to use it.
- Go to the screen that you would like to capture.
- Press the PRTSC button, and the screenshot will be saved on the clipboard.
- Now, go to paint, Microsoft word or any other tool where you would like to insert the screenshot.
- Paste the screenshot and save the image or the document.
- It should be noted that in some laptops, you will have to use the Fn/Function key to press the PRTSC, so ensure that you are mindful of the same.
Screenshot of Active Window – Many of us works on the side-by-side screen format. If you also work in a similar format, but if you need to take the screenshot of the active window only, then you can follow the steps below.
- Go to the active screen first, as the screenshot of the active portion will only be taken when you use this option.
- Now press the ALT + PRTSC button to take the screenshot, and the screenshot will be copied to the clipboard.
- In the next step, you can paste the screenshot on paint or any document to save it. If you would like to save the screenshot in JPG or PNG format, use MS Paint.
=> You may like to check Best Screen Recording Software
Screenshot of Specific Portion – This process is specific to Windows 10, so if you have a lower version of windows, it might not work. Check out the steps below.
- To take the screenshot of a specific area of the screen, press Windows Key + Shift + S together.
- The screen’s brightness will lower, and you will see a mouse pointer that you can drag.
- Now, drag the mouse pointer by clicking the button and release the pointer where you are done.
- The screenshot will now be copied to the clipboard, and you can use it the way you like it.
Saving Screenshot Directly – In some of the procedures, you would have noticed that the screenshot gets copied to the clipboard. This can be very irritating if you need to take many screenshots. In such a case, you can follow the steps listed below to save the screenshot directly. Please note that this procedure is restricted to Windows 10.
- To save the screenshot automatically right after taking it, you can press Windows Key + PRTSC button.
- This will save the screenshot in the Pictures folder directly. The process certainly makes it easy for you to save the screenshot, and you can utilize them all at once.
How to Take Screenshots in Apple / Mac Laptop
This section is exclusively related to the Mac. We have listed some of the different ways to take a screenshot on a Mac device. Go through the details below.
Taking Regular Screenshot on Mac – If you have to take a screenshot of the whole screen, that is pretty simple. Check out the steps below to be able to take the entire screenshot.
- Go to the screen on which you want to take the screenshot.
- Now, press Shift + Command + 3 key together.
- A thumbnail will appear in the corner of the screenshot. If you do not take any action, then the thumbnail will be saved automatically.
- If you want to edit the screenshot, you can click on the thumbnail, and you can edit the screenshot as per your requirements.
Capturing a Portion of Screen – There are times when you need to take a screenshot of a particular portion of the screen. If you find yourself in such a situation, then there are two ways. The first way is to take a screenshot of the entire screen and then crop the image to get the desired area of the screen. Alternatively, you can follow the steps below
- To capture the portion of the screen, go to the screen that you need to capture.
- Press and hold Shift + Command + 4 key together.
- A crosshair will appear on the screen, and you can now press the button on the trackpad and select the area you would like to capture. Alternatively, you can also press the spacebar while dragging the crosshair.
- If you need to cancel the screenshot, you can press the Esc button, and the process will abort.
- Release the mouse or the trackpad, and the screenshot will be captured. A thumbnail will appear in the corner of the screen. You can let it save, or you can click on the thumbnail to edit it.
Capturing a Window or Menu – If you would like to capture any particular menu option or windows, the steps would vary slightly. Below are more details of the process.
- Start by opening the particular window or the menu.
- Now, press Shift + Command + 4 + Space Bar together. This will change the pointer to a camera icon.
- In the next step, you need to click on the window or the menu that you would like to capture. If you would like to exclude the shadow of the window, then you must hold down the Option key when you click the mouse or trackpad.
- A thumbnail will appear on the corner of the screen. Like in other steps, you can let the screenshot save or click on thumbnail to edit the screenshot.
Where are Screenshots Saved in Mac?
In Mac, the screenshots are saved by default to the desktop. So, you would not have to save them manually. It works the same way it works on the phone. The filename of the screenshot would be ‘Screen Shot [date] [time].png. If you have Mohave or a later edition of Mac, you can also change the default save location of the screenshots. To do that, you need to go to the options menu and open the screenshot app. You will find the option there to change the default location. You can also open the screenshot application using Shift + Command + 5.
The screenshot application also lets you set a time for the screenshot. Also, if you would like to copy the screenshot to the clipboard, press and hold the control key while taking the screenshot. It will automatically be copied to the clipboard. If you use an Apple Ecosystem, you can even paste that screenshot to iPad or iPhone.
These are the different ways to take screenshots on your windows and Mac. You can now take the screenshot, and we are sure that you can also help your friends take the screenshots. You can stay tuned for more such technology-related articles if you have an interest in this domain. Bookmark the page and share it with your friends so that everyone can learn something new with you. If you face any issue while taking a screenshot, you can drop a comment, and we will try to troubleshoot with you.